
Moon Waves.
In reflection to this topic there is one photograph that clearly stands out. The photograph was taken by an Australian freelance photographer that is based in Bali, Indonesia over 14 years. I discovered the photograph in a surfing book that was given to me as a Christmas present.
The image is of a 5cm wave taken at Keramas river mouth, Bail.
The quote that the photographer used to define the image completely sums up what I love about the image.
" The way the light bounces off them (talking about the 5 cm waves crashing up on the shore) contrasted against the black volcanic sand, the whole thing sparkled and the sun lit up the barrel. They just seemed alive. If the moon had waves the might look something like this."
Jason Childs.
The thing that makes this image powerful is that the entire focus is on the waves it self, whilst having everything out of focus. I find myself being drawn to the break of the wave where the wave it's self is reflecting off the sand which makes it the main part of focus in the photograph.
As the photographer mentioned in the book;
"It wasn't until I got home and greyscaled them to black and white (talking about the waves) that their majic started shining through"
Jason Childs.
I agree with this statement as I find that balck and white (if done completely) seems to emphaisie and even intensify the beauty in our landscapes.
References;
The Moment ; Timeless, sublime, life-changing, fun
100 of surfing's most compelling images and the true stories behind them, Sean Doherty.
Published in Australia and New Zealand 2008.
Photographer ; Jason Childs (photojournalist, historian, surf photographer)
Title ; Moon Waves
Taken At ; Keramas, Bali
Beautiful image - there is something magical about a good B&W photograph - amazing how we can be drawn to monochrome when the world is colour. Good choice of quotes too.
ReplyDelete